Included in the WhatcomCares are the following:
- Organizations (not-for-profit, governmental, churches, civic groups and community) which provide services in health, welfare, support, recreation, education or advocacy for those with serious illness or facing end of life in Whatcom County.
- For-profit organizations are considered on an individual basis. Inclusion is based on uniqueness of service, lack of comparable or sufficient services available through the public sector or not-for-profit agencies or groups, and degree of need for the service.
- No attempt will be made to list all agencies or programs.
- Organizations outside of our geographic parameters which provide a service not available locally. These may include toll-free helplines if they offer some sort of health or human service assistance.
- Professional associations and organizations (especially those organizations in the health and human service field that provide referrals to individual practitioners).
Examples of services that may exist in the for-profit sector but which are included in the WHATCOMCARES are:
- home health agencies
- skilled nursing facilities (nursing homes)
- assisted housing
- home health care providers
- adult homes